Friday, September 14, 2007

Darjeeling

The Darjeeling region is in north central India on the lower region of the Himalayas and is known for a unique tasting tea. The tea growers of the area developed distinctive hybrids of black tea and fermenting techniques, with many blends considered among the world's finest. Darjeeling usually comes in two flushes. First flush is spring pick and second flush is summer pick. It is often considered the 'champagne' of black teas.

So, I made some last night. IT IS QUITE GOOD! It has a little bite, but it is not a big bite. I enjoyed it because it has a nice full flavor. There are many teas that 'require' milk, this is not one of them. I didn't drink all of it before it cooled off and when I went back to finish it it was just as good cold as it was hot. Will have to keep this one on my list.

Also made some scones last nite. Cranberry. The recipe was simple, but they felt too much like a biscuit. They were really flaky and sweet, but just too 'biscuity' for me.

Cranberry Scones

2 cups AP flour
2 T sugar
2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
3/4 cup butter (yes, it is a lot, but....)
1 1/2 cups dried cranberries ( I used less, but....)
1/2 cup milk.

As usual I used my processor. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Mix all dry ingredients. Add butter in pieces until mix resembles cornmeal. Add milk, process a little and then add the cranberries. Don't process too long or you will cut up the cranberries too much. Should be a nice 'ball' of dough.
Roll out onto a lightly floured surface. I kneaded slightly pressing out into a flat cylinder, folded over itself and repeated about 4 times. This is part of what makes them flaky. Cut into circles or wedges. Bake 8 - 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Enjoy!!! Good with good butter or clotted cream. Maybe a little cranberry jam?
Sorry, no pictures, my family ate them too quickly after they came out of the oven, but they were pretty.
See y'all later.

No comments: